Simple food, simple life: FOOD PREP INTRO

Let me start by explaining my philosophy behind food prep. If you are looking for the most delicious recipe for the best meal you have ever had, this is not for you. If you are looking for simple tips to get healthy food on your plate three times a day, you are in the right place. I love fancy food blogs with complex yet delicious recipes, but I just can't maintain that level of effort. I get overwhelmed, frustrated, and throw in the towel. I don't love to cook, and complex menu planning is really just setting myself up for failure.  Clean eating burn out is REAL. Our world is all about pleasure seeking and the food we eat is no exception. The fallacy that every meal you eat needs to be the best you've ever had needs to be put in check. The bottom line is that you need food to live. Food is fuel. Don't get me wrong, I like my food to taste good, and I sincerely feel that it does. But in order for me to feed myself and my family healthy food consistently long term, it has to be easy. Here is my guide to successfully stocking a fridge/freezer well enough that healthy options are always readily available, with little effort on your part. I will share what I keep on hand and how I prep it. There is definitely a learning curve but I can honestly say now prepping this way feels effortless. Food is ready when I need it and I don't live in the kitchen.


Food List: What I prep and keep on hand.

  • hard boiled eggs
  • string cheese
  • cottage cheese
  • plain greek yogurt 
  • washed and chopped fruit (berries, pineapple, melon etc.)
  • salad bar supplies (washed and chopped lettuce and veggies ready to grab)
  • granola
  • chicken thighs
  • pork shoulder
  • ground turkey
  • tilapia
  • salmon
  • potatoes/sweet potatoes
  • jasmine rice
  • assorted veggies to steam/bake

Getting Started: Supplies

Aside from groceries there are some tools I really rely on. My kitchen is tiny and not well equipped, but that's another perk of simplifying, Keeping food close to its natural form and preparing it in basic ways doesn't require a lot of fancy stuff. 
  • Gallon sized, quart sized, and sandwich sized ziplock baggies.
  • 2 cookie sheets
  • foil
  • cooling rack
  • Various sizes of containers. I like this set. I use containers for fruit and veggie prep, not for prepackaging whole meals for a week, I like my food to feel fresh.
  • Rice cooker with veggie rack. This one is my FAVORITE. Being able to prep a grain (quinoa/rice) while steaming veggies by the flip of one switch is a huge time saver. You don't have to watch over it like on the stove top, freeing you for other things. Like life. #teamstayoutofthekitchen
  • Stove top dutch oven. I bought this one for Ryan years ago and it continues to be my FAVORITE kitchen item I own. There is no end to what I use it for. Carnitas anyone? I also love it for soups, frying, and literally anything I can think of to cook on the stove. Seriously I'm obsessed with it.
  • Crock pot. Nothing fancy,
  • Knives. You can spend a lot of money here, and maybe someday I will get to... but for now this set is serving me very well. I chop a lot folks.

Procedure: How I do
  • I prep all my meat in one day, then portion it out into individual servings. I put each serving in a sandwich sized ziplock bag and stick it in the freezer. Every night before bed I pull out what I plan to eat the next day and allow it to thaw overnight in the fridge, then I simply microwave it to warm it up when I am ready to eat it. I have found chicken thighs, pork shoulder, salmon, ground turkey and tilapia all freeze quite well. They taste fresh and great when reheated. 
  • I wash and chop lettuce, carrots, and cucumbers and put it all in containers and ziplocks so that making a salad is as simple as dumping stuff in a bowl. 
  • I wash and chop fruit for easy snacking, or to use with yogurt or granola. Again, making it as easy to grab something healthy as it would be to bust open a bag of chips.
  • I wash and chop veggies in preparation for baking/steaming. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, all breeds of squash, and mushrooms I am only willing to eat a day or two old. This means I am having to cook them regularly, but by having them chopped and ready all I have to do is toss them in the oven or steamer and I am set. 
  • I also usually make a few pans of enchiladas and a few soups to have on hand for my family. I freeze these and pull them out the night before to reheat the day of. 

Stay tuned this whole week for all the specific recipes and details for each category of prep. Here is the line up:

  • Chicken, pork and turkey
  • Salmon and tilapia
  • Salad bar in your fridge, fruit and granola parfaits, and green smoothies
  • Cooked veggies and grains
  • Food prep day schedule

3 comments

  1. WOOHOO!!!! Thank you for posting. Ever since you're scope, I have basically been following this mentality! Will you share how you do your enchiladas, too one day? XO!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited for these posts!!! Thank you! I got my shopping done yesterday, but all I got done today was boiling some eggs. Now my fridge is looming full of fruit and veg that need my attention... I need some motivation for sure! I'm also so interested in the meat prepping- that's something I never do but it sounds like it would be so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear I'm not stalking you but I was going back through your instagram and saw you tied your eating to mental health. You said you periscoped it but I'm wondering if you have any blog posts about it? Or plan to have a blog post about it?

    ReplyDelete