An apology to the depressed.

My depression came to me in the form of postpartum depression. Before that, I had never experienced anything close to it. In fact, I had spent many years thinking of mental illness as a myth only the weak fell for and used to justify poor life behavior. People who claimed to be depressed actually just needed to step it up and decide to get better. Depression was simply a label slapped on people who lacked drive, focus, discipline and self-control.

Then suddenly, I found myself in a thick, all consuming cloud of darkness. A darkness I didn’t expect, didn’t understand, and for the life of me could not overcome. I couldn’t even fight it. It was the most overwhelming feeling of helplessness I have ever experienced. I wanted to fix it. I wanted to make it go away. I wanted to change my mind and overcome it. At the very least I wanted to understand what this huge darkness was that had consumed me. What was this paralyzing force fighting against me? This was depression.

My misconception and prejudice against mental illness was boiling up and staring me straight in the face. I was wrong. I was so, so wrong. All at once the shame of my years spent in superiority hit me. Depression was real. As real as the new baby I held in my arms as I pondered my newfound suffering. It had always been real, and I hadn’t been willing to see that.

The prejudice I carried against depression amplified my suffering. I was not only in the thick of the illness, I felt worthless for having it. After all, this was an issue saved for the weak. I made a vow to myself to never tell anyone how I felt. No matter how bad things got, I promised to never let anyone know I was broken. I was better than this, I had to be.

Eventually I came to understand depression had nothing to do with me, or with anyone else it haunted. My judgment turned to understanding, my prejudice softened into empathy, and my superiority changed to respect. Now, in the purest humility I have ever experienced, I apologize. I apologize for rolling my eyes, for telling you to try harder, and for all the times I silently judged you for struggling. I’m sorry for thinking of myself as better than you. I am so sorry for not trusting you enough to believe your struggle. I am sorry for not caring enough to reach out. I am sorry for my ignorance.

xoxo Julie


*I share my story to try to help others understand the reality of mental illness. It is too often ignored, downplayed, and misunderstood. The face of depression is misrepresented. I am the face of depression. Without a doubt someone you know personally is the face of depression. Fostering beliefs that mental illness is not real inhibits progress in saving the lives of those who suffer.

4 comments

  1. what is the best thing I can do for someone (right now, my son), going through a bout of anxiety and depression. My instinct is to find a fix, but I know that is not helpful. What did someone do for you that made you feel understood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautifully written. I appreciate your words and I understand where you have been. I have been on/off depressed for years and at the beginning of it, I was just like you. I thought that I was better than depression and that I could just "think" my way out of it. I his it for so long and that only prolonged those awful feelings to the point where getting out of bed was not an option. I have sinced learned that I cannot control my depression but I can learn to live with it and make changes in my life that make every day easier. Thank you for being brave enough to share your story and for apologizing for something you didn't understand before - that takes a strong person. Remember that you worthy of this life and you are a beautiful person who will get through this ❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey- I found your blog this weekend (camp Patton link) and I had to read everything and stalk your Instagram too! Your writing is so beautiful and I love what you're sharing. I'm excited to follow along, and just wanted to say hi and thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I also found your blog from the camp patton blog. You really hit home with how people who have never had a mental illness just refuse to validate the feelings of a person who does. I go through that all the time, even with my immediate family.

    ReplyDelete